Monday, December 8, 2008

Ode to the Country Store


As anyone knows who lives in the South, the countyside is dotted with millions of gas stations/country stores. They range from the old fashioned mom and pop places to the new modern additions stuck on major brand gas-o-ramas. We all have zinged past them in or cars without a moments thought. But let me tell you, it's a whole 'nother thing to the long distance road hiker. They serve a ton of functions. Often they have a bench or two outside. This a very welcome after a few hours on your feet. Lots of gatoraide and often some excellent hotdogs. And maybe some Advil, or tape, or whatever little thing you need. Plus some human contact, which I find welcome most of the time. Local information can be valuable, but it's been my experience that people who spend most of their time in the car have very poor judgement when it comes to distances. Many is the time I've believed someone when that said that such and such intersection was 'just up the road', only to find I'm still humping away hours later. I've just stopped asking. But I digress. So my thanks go out to these little stores. For the grub, the company, the chance to get off my feet, and a little taste of the local culture.

No comments: